Casa Guesthouse & Community Center
The Casa now receives some 2,000 guests and visitors annually, of individuals, families, and organizations. The Casa is an official Mexican non-profit organization and we ask for a donation to support our Peace and Hospitality programs. Many of the people who stay at the Casa de los Amigos are involved in peace and justice related projects.
The Casa de los Amigos is not a hotel or a youth hostel. It is a Quaker home and guest house based in Social Justice, Simplicity, Service and International Solidarity. We are a community of peace, fellowship, fun, reflection, and action. People come together in the Casa to share time, space, culture, ideas, experiences, and lots of food. Creating and maintaining a nonviolent, supportive and welcoming environment, in solidarity with peaceworkers every where, has become an essential part of living and fulfilling the Casa’s mission.
Working through partner organizations, the Casa also frequently provides short-term housing to refugees, migrants, and others in need.
The Casa offers temporary housing to migrants and refugees, working through formal programs with other NGOs.
The Casa reflects the Quaker testimony of Simplicity.
- We have the capacity to house 35 guests.
- There is a men’s dormitory and a women’s dormitory, each with 8 beds.
- There are also 12 private rooms, from small rooms with a single bed and shared bath to an apartment with two double beds, private bath, and kitchenette.
- Guests have access to a shared kitchen with filtered drinking water
- 24-hour hot water heated by a solar-water heater
- Filtered water
- A library and a guest lounge
- A sink and line in which to wash and dry laundry
- A guest computer and a wireless internet signal
- There are lockers in the Casaa dormitories, and security boxes for the use of Casa guests; please bring your own lock to use
- The Casa provides linens and towels.
- Vegetarian breakfast, Monday through Saturday for 30 pesos
The Casa accepts walk-in guests, but our rooms fill up quickly and reservations are highly recommended. Please contact us for a list of suggested donations, and more information about bringing groups to the Casa. You can make a reservation in person, by telephone, or by sending an email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We check our email Monday through Friday, but we receive telephone calls seven days a week. If you’d like to make a reservation on short notice, please call us. The Casa reception is open for general purposes and to receive guests from 8 AM until 9:30 PM each night.
- Casa guests build and nurture a safe atmosphere of peace and mutual respect. A few important policies help us maintain this environment
- The Casa de los Amigos is a drug and violence-free, alcohol-free and smoke-free space. Those who smoke may do so outside of the Casa. Those who are unable to adhere to these guidelines will need to find another place to stay.
- To encourage our community, we have a two-night minimum stay. Because the Casa appears in most international guidebooks and is very well known, this is a very important way for us to maintain our purpose and identity. On occasion, offering overnight hospitality to a guest or group may be the most helpful contribution we can make—please ask us about your situation.
- The Casa has quiet hours from 10 PM to 7 AM each night.
The Casa provides Quaker hospitality to a diverse group of people. Here you can find volunteers, activists and interns, Quakers and people of many faiths, refugees and migrants, non-profit delegations, international solidarity workers, human rights observers, children and elders, students and researchers, university groups, seekers, artists and travelers from around the world.
Here you will find a unique experience of living in a diverse and open social justice community. Here, a backpacker from New England or an Italian researcher may share a dormitory with a Somali refugee or a Salvadoran family on the move. We know experientially that creating this rich environment creates a few potential challenges, but it is well worth it.